Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Boot Camp: Days 1 and 2

I went into this knowing I'd be sore. I haven't lifted anything heavier than a manila file in the past year.

After 2 days of doing "dirty dogs," which are about as close to wholesome fun as they sound, and "skull crushers," which are misleading because your skull is actually the only thing not writhing in pain after doing them, I am indeed sore. Let me rephrase. I AM INDEED SORE.

Before yesterday's session started, my fellow bootcampers and I stood around verbally describing the various leg sorenesses we were experiencing after Day 1. Said pains ranged from "not too bad" to "I couldn't get up off the toilet this morning so I just stayed there all day." Then we were informed that, "Oh, yesterday was only arm day. Today is leg day." Wince.

You would think that if a 400 lb. Japanese wrestler could do it with ease, then little old athletic Suzie would have no trouble doing 6 reps of "sumo squats". Wrong. I got them all done, but not before my thighs turned to Jell-o. In fact, the people at Jell-o headquarters actually approached me at the end of the session to ask me to be their spokesperson. "Hi, my name is Suzie, and I'd like to share with you my recipe for Strawberry Sumo Squat legs. They're a crowd-pleaser at picnics and birthday parties."

All in all though, I'm keeping up pretty well and the only things I'm having real trouble with are the weights (see the 2nd sentence of this post) and the jogging.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I SUCK at running. When you've got a 7 foot wingspan and legs that together are a quarter mile long, it takes a lot of effort to keep them reined in close to your body to achieve the proper jogging technique. That's where all my exertion goes and in turn I have zero endurance leftover for running. Also my torso is literally 6 inches long, so I'm pretty sure I have proportionately tiny lungs, which cannot keep up with any sort of distance jogging.

Today is ab day, which I conveniently get to skip out on due to a previously scheduled hair appointment. Let's face it, what's being in shape worth if I still have split ends and 2 inch roots? Seriously.

Tomorrow is cardio day. Stay tuned for the inevitable post on how my heart imploded.

No comments:

Post a Comment