Monday, July 11, 2011

Baby You're a Firework

It all started out as a sarcastic comment made by my husband. Isn't that always how it starts out?

We were talking about how we wanted to find out this baby's gender. I knew for sure I wanted it to be something memorable. Something meaningful. Something original. "Gender reveal" parties are increasingly common, and while I think the whole "cut the cake to see if the icing is pink or blue" idea is great, it's getting a little overused.

So, we're sitting around one evening tossing around ideas. The ultrasound was scheduled for June 23, a little more than a week before July 4th weekend. Stew blurts out "maybe we should just shoot some fireworks and when they explode pink or blue, that's how we'll find out?"

Of course, my brain started spinning with creative ideas. We could invite all our family and close friends, do a July 4th theme, complete with red & blue fireworks, and BAM! (no pun intended) we have the perfect gender reveal party. I even knew the perfect date for the party. July 3rd is the anniversary of the day we started dating (way back in 1998). What better way to celebrate? After several weeks, I successfully convinced Stew (Sure we can fit 70 people in our house! 27 year old a/c system? No problem!), then began taking steps to turn his sarcastic comment into a reality.

At the ultrasound, we turned our heads as they scanned "the area," then had the doctor write down the baby's gender, print a picture of "the area," and put everything in a tightly sealed envelope. We asked Stew's best friend Eric if he would do the honor of secretly reading the envelope contents at the party and then shooting the corresponding firework. He agreed. Then we waited until the local firework stands opened up and purchased red fireworks and blue fireworks. We did a test run a few days before the party to make sure the fireworks had the right effect. We forgot to tell my elderly neighbor we were testing the fireworks. Needless to say it was pretty funny when he ran outside at 9 pm, pistol in hand, thinking the explosion was signaling the end of the world.

I won't go into detail about the million things that threatened to ruin this party (3 hour power outage the day of the party, anyone?) but I will say that thanks to the neverending stream of help from our incredible family and friends, this party turned out to be more perfect than we could ever have imagined. Baby Stewzie, you are surely loved by everyone already.

Here are just a few of the photos from the party. Photo credits: My super-talented brother Tim.
You can find him @ tjmohrphoto.com


Team Boy: (the majority)

Team Girl: (the minority)

Team undecided: We wore black in honor of the power outage.

Red fireworks or Blue fireworks?
After much anticipation and suspense, Eric lit the fuse. Aaaand...
It's a GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


We were shocked! Stew was convinced it was a boy.

Big brother Austin was surprised too:

This was by far THE BEST surprise of our lives. I seriously watch this video multiple times a day and I still get chills.
Baby GIRL,
We are so excited for you to be our daughter.
Love,
Mama and Daddy

4 comments:

  1. I love this, great post Suzie! I'm so happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Stewzie!! Jeremy and I are so happy for you both. A girl will certainly bring the fireworks to your lives!!! THis post brought tears to my eyes remembering what it was like for Jeremy and I to find out we were having our little girls. They have brought more joy to my life than words could ever express! I won't tell you about the Joy and Love and everything Wonderful our LITTLE boy has brought too, wouldn't want you to be jealous, LOL. Anyway congrats! Sarah n Jeremy Wood

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the best party ever. My heart still pounds when I watch the video like it did that night! We can't wait to meet your little girl, our granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! May I ask what kind of firework you ended up going with, and where you bought it? We are trying to decide now. Thanks so much and hope you are enjoying your little girl!

    ReplyDelete